Isaiah 26:19A few atheist bloggers seem to think it's clever to post famous poems, as if the rest of us would never deign to look at literature unless it's transmitted on a freethinker's Web site. I decided that I'd join in their fun, and publish a well-known masterpiece for my readers to learn. However, my memory not being what it used to be, I couldn't manage to recite an entire poem, no matter how hard I tried. All I managed to wind up with was a brand new example of doggerel, cobbled together from lines that originally appeared in other pieces of verse. Your simple job is to identify, by line, each work and its author.
Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.
1 Corinthians 15:52
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
- The grave’s a fine and private place,
- all by all and deep by deep,
- And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
- Tossing their heads in sprightly dance,
- That sleepen al the night with open ye —
- Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight,
- In the forests of the night,
- Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
- They took some honey, and plenty of money,
- For ever warm, and still to be enjoy’d,
- And seemed as they would ask me, if they durst,
- “Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
- Food, glorious food!”
- I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world,
- “Surely the the Second Coming is at hand!
- I’m afraid you must wait and have dinner tomorrow."
- Because I could not stop for Death,
- I go, I go; look how I go.
- Run, run, run, run, runaway.
- I doubted if I should ever come back.
- You might as well live.
[Update: Correct answers (as of 09/11/08, 3:15 a.m. EDT) — 1. Gareth McCaughan; 2. Lynet (title), yunshui (author); 3. Evo (title), Gareth McCaughan (author); 4. Gareth McCaughan; 5. yunshui; 6. Lynet; 7. Eric Haas; 8. yunshui; 9. Lynet; 10. Lynet; 12. Eric Haas; 13. chappy; 14. yunshui; 15. yunshui; 16. Lynet; 17. Gareth McCaughan; 18. yunshui; 19. Eric Haas; 20. yunshui (title), Lynet (author); 21. Gareth McCaughan (author only)]