Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The "Good Book" Is No Good Here

A friend of mine recently asked me why I don’t exterminate some of the sillier comments made on posts to this blog. Here’s my response to her — and to all my other readers:

I’m a First Amendment purist; I don’t believe in public censorship of any kind. No More Hornets is intended as an open forum, and will be maintained as such.

So stop by and voice your opinions. I won’t delete any comments except spam. It would be nice if you made an attempt to be coherent, but drivel will not be expunged. Also, if you must, feel free to call me any names you can think of, although do try to be inventive.

That said, I would strongly encourage all commenters to avoid using the bible as your reference source for any of your “ideas.” Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were once able to get away with singing “How do I know? The Bible tells me so.” But even if you're the King of the Cowboys or the Queen of the West, or both simultaneously, I urge you to refrain from trying to rope me in with your clever roundup of “god’s word" (a.k.a. intellectual cowflop).

As far as the creator of this blog is concerned, all supernatural entities are fictional characters for children — or adults with childish minds. Telling me what Jesus thinks is no more valid than telling me what Rumpelstiltskin thinks. I don’t expect serious people to claim that the sky is falling because they read it in the story of Chicken Little. Likewise, I don’t expect them to claim that the sky is calling because that’s what it says in some other fantasy tale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a chief beneficiary of your dedication to such principles, I can do nothing but thank you for your kindness.

beepbeepitsme said...

RE: " I don’t expect serious people to claim that the sky is falling because they read it in the story of Chicken Little. Likewise, I don’t expect them to claim that the sky is calling because that’s what it says in some other fantasy tale."

Great line. I might use it. ;)