Monday, September 22, 2008

A Comment Thread from Hamlet's Blog

Confused said ...
I don’t really get what you’re asking here. To be WHAT? Or not to be WHAT?

Englishteacher said ...
I hate to be a punctuation nazi, Hamlet, but if you’re asking a question, it should end in a question mark.

Sirsleepsalot said ...
Are you saying that dying and sleeping are THE SAME THING???? Sheesh!

Hamlet said ...
@sleepsy:
No, I’m just saying that in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffel’d off this mortal coil must give us pause. Dying and sleeping are alike, but clearly they’re not the same. You wake up from sleeping but you don’t wake up from dying.

Sirsleepsalot said ...
Unless you die IN YOUR SLEEP!!!! LOL.

happy dane said ...
i do’nt think you shoud worry so much about being nobel in the mind. you sound like a graet princ. just go with what feels rite :)

Scienceprude said ...
We don’t sleep or dream when we’re dead. Learn some biology, jerkoff.

Horatio said ...
IMHO, this whole “to be or not to be” thing sounds like a big whine. Are you crazy, or are you just making believe?

Hamlet said ...
What ho, Horatio! LTNS! Listen, how strange or odd I bear myself — as I perchance hereafter shall think meet to put an antic disposition on — don’t ask me about it, OK?

Rich3 said ...
I know this is a little off-topic, but does anybody have a horse for sale?

Grumble Bunny said ...
Great post! You’re soooo right! Fortune IS outrageous! The guy up the street won the lottery twice and I never won it at all! How is that fair?!!!!!

Zeen0f0Be said ...
Anybody who goes to an undiscovered country doesn’t deserve to return from its “bourn,” as you put it. I’m willing to bet that you haven’t even seen all of Denmark, but you’re in a big hurry to go elsewhere and spend good kroner in other places. How about supporting our workers here?

Hamlet said ...
@ Zee:
A friend of mine thinks that something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I don’t necessarily agree with him, but I also don’t mind picking up decent products from foreign manufacturers once in a while.

Wide Awake said ...
I have read your blog and find it both entertaining and informative. If you have problems waking up with that fresh and rested feeling, click the link below to learn about the personal benefits of YawnAway™.

Zeen0f0be said ...
@ Hammy:
Yeah, try buying some of that poisoned toothpaste in Sweden.

Hamlet said ...
@ Zee:
Well, the Swedes say the same thing about stuff made here. They clepe us drunkards, and with swinish phrase soil our addition.

Englishteacher said ...
Sorry to nitpick again, H, but, honestly, who says “clepe” any more? What are you, like 50 years old?

Grumble Bunny said ...
Hamlet, I’m reading more of your fantastic post and you’re soooo right again! How’s this for the proud man’s contumely?! My brother is a English teacher and he keeps correcting my grammer! Between you and I, I could care less!!!!!!

Trollonius said ...
Can you provide any evidence whatsoever that conscience makes cowards of us all? I’ve got a conscience, and I’m not afraid of anything. I think you’re just talking out of your behind.

Zeen0f0be said ...
@Hammy, you said: Well, the Swedes say the same thing about stuff made here.
Is that why they keep crossing our borders illegally to look for better toothpaste? Get your facts straight.

Hamlet said ...
@Zee:
Well, I do have my facts straight. You can read any magazine and find out how corrupt Denmark is. This three years I have took note of it: the age is grown so picked that the toe of the peasant comes so near the heel of the courtier he galls his kibe.

Englishteacher said ...
I don’t mean to be a pain, H, but it’s not “I have took note of it.” It’s “I have taken note of it.” When using the present perfect tense, “have” should always be followed by the past participle. Also, did you realize that the antecendents are unclear for both “he” and “his”?

Grumble Bunny said ...
Hamlet, this is the best post you’ve ever written! And you’re soooo right about the insolence of offices! Yesterday, I made a simple mistake and filed an email from Rosencrantz in the Guildenstern folder! My boss called me a rogue and peasant &#^%*! Now that’s insolent!!!!!

happy dane said ...
did you decide what to do yet? i know its nun of my busness but heres my too sense. i think you shoud “be” :)

Hamlet said ...
I’m cutting off all comments on this post. Sorry, you guys, but the rest is silence.

20 comments:

PhillyChief said...

It's always about the rabble.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't anyone else other than me get spam comments? Like "This is prodigy! This blog A Comment Thread | Hornets is fascination! I return! Click here for lesbian ladies and half off your prescriptions."

Man, Hamlet must have one heck of a spam blocker.

Anonymous said...

Oh damn. I missed "Wake Up"'s comment the first time around. Still though, the lesbian ladies comments are way better.

Lynet said...

I cracked up on Rich3's comment.

The rest was quite funny, too.

Anonymous said...

the lesbian ladies comments are way better

Your spam is more interesting than mine. The world is full of people who want to make my penis larger.

John Evo said...

I don't get it. Do I have to read A Midsummer Nights Dream? Because I hate Dickens. Am I one of the characters? I feel like I've read this before - and I was confused that time too. Could you write your next post about Nanny? Her I like. Or something about Creationists would be good. Them I don't like.

bullet said...

Verily.

Anonymous said...

goodness Ex, what happened? did you fall and bang your head on the complete works of William Shakespeare?


very funny but.

The Exterminator said...

Philly:
It's always about the rabble.
I'd slightly amend that for discussing BlogWorld:
It's always about the babble.

Kelly:
I never get invitations from lesbian ladies, either here in the Atheosphere or in real life. Maybe if I took some YawnAway I'd be more alert -- and hence more attractive to them. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care whether or not my penis was larger.

Lynet:
I cracked up on Rich3's comment.
Sure, you can laugh about it all you want. But don't you think the guy sounds desperate, as if he'd seen a ghost or something?

chappy:
The world is full of people who want to make my penis larger.
Are you saying that you want it to be smaller?

Evo:
My next post will be about how familiarity with the works of Shakespeare is just as important for an educated person as familiarity with the works of Darwin. Or maybe it'll be a puzzle about Nanny and the Problem of Evil on Wall Street.

bullet:
Forsooth.

oz:
very funny but.
But what?

John Evo said...

Ex said: My next post will be about how familiarity with the works of Shakespeare is just as important for an educated person as familiarity with the works of Darwin

Surely, you jest.

Not saying his works are unimportant, but if one had to choose, this "one" would have no trouble deciding. You obviously are of the opinion that it's not "either/or". And I share your opinion. But I also believe there are countless things that an "educated" person should have a familiarity with. Yet there aren't many educated people who have that familiarity with all of those potential subjects. Given that many more educated people seem familiar with Shakespeare than Darwin, maybe it's good that I'm among those who prefer Darwin.

PhillyChief said...

At least we know Darwin wrote his own works. ;)

The Exterminator said...

Evo:
Obviously, an educated person ought to know something about evolution. And all sciences, for that matter. And math, and history, and the arts. But I think one could make a pretty good argument -- which I may try to do in the future when I'm feeling as snarky as I am today -- that for educated non-scientists, a knowledge of Shakespeare is more relevant, fulfilling, and valuable than a knowledge of Darwin.

We atheists spend so much time having to debunk creationist nonsense that we lose sight of the fact that, for most of us, our own individual knowledge of evolution doesn't mean much. I can talk reasonably intelligently about some of the latest scientific findings in the evolutionary field, but so what?

And FYI: I would have been an atheist long before Darwin wrote On the Origin of Species. One doesn't have to understand a fucking thing about evolution to know that the god-concept makes no sense.

Philly:
I thought it was proven that Edward de Vere wrote The Voyage of the Beagle.

PhillyChief said...

The argument is silly. You two sound like two kids arguing which band "rules". Ever hear that fable about the 3 brothers who create beautiful rugs? The king held a contest to see who makes the best rugs and the three each made their own instead of working together. All three rugs were crap, because each was an expert of one phase of the creation.

A science education without the arts makes unimaginative little robots. Arts education without science makes hippies who think crystals can cure ailments. You need both, and one ain't necessarily superior to the other.

Btw, that last bit is why I generally can't stand other artists. That, and the petula

The Exterminator said...

Philly:
Well, we know we must be unusually combative when PhillyChief plays peacemaker. Do you have a different headdress for when you act in that capacity?

You're right, of course. Science and the Arts are equally important. I have a tendency to overreact because the arts and the "social sciences" are so often given short shrift here in the Atheosphere.

By the way, did your last sentence get cut off? The only Petula I know is Ms. Clark, the woman who sang "Downtown" back in the 60s.

PhillyChief said...

I meant patchouli, and I'm no peacemaker. I make war on silly, and you two were being silly.

The Exterminator said...

Philly:
Patchouli? What did she sing? I'll take the rap on silly. This time, it was unintentional.

John Evo said...

Ex said: I can talk reasonably intelligently about some of the [works of William Shakespeare], but so what?

You're right!

Anonymous said...

Can you provide any evidence whatsoever that conscience makes cowards of us all?

(Cameo appearance by J. J. Ramsey from Friendly Atheist, uncredited.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ex - you haven't posted in nearly a week. What happened, did you find Jesus?

Anonymous said...

Предлагаю Вашему вниманию сайт [url=http://theloveland.ru/]знакомства[/url] Сайт входит в крупнейший сервис знакомств, колоссально известный в России и Европе. Заходите, регистрируйтесь - здесь вас ждут приятные знакомства, романтические встречи и настоящая дружба!!!